Packing can be a difficult process, particularly for people who have never done it before. The following is a list of tips that should make the procedure run smoother, from the initial packing of possessions in your old place to unpacking in your new home.
- Make a comprehensive “To Do” List, so you’re sure not to forget anything.
- Go through all of your belongings with a fine toothcomb, and decide what is absolutely necessary to bring and what might not be.
- Anything that isn’t crucial to bring with you can be donated to charity.
- Organize your boxes carefully, so that things that should go together are packed together, either by room, subject, or both. This makes finding things, when you’re ready to unpack, much easier.
- Label your boxes specifically, and on all sides. They may end up being stacked in such an orientation that you can’t actually read your labels, otherwise, making them not very useful.
- Make sure your items are packaged in boxes that fit them correctly, so there isn’t room for them to jostle around inside the box and break.
- Color-coded labels are a fantastic idea, to indicate into which room each box should be placed. Make sure to also provide a color-coded floor plan to your movers, so they can instantly tell where to put things.
- Make sure all the items are properly wrapped (bubble wrap is excellent for delicate objects) and that the box has adequate padding, to also reduce potential breakage.
- Don’t pack a box over 50 pounds, whenever possible, to make sure that (a) it isn’t too heavy to lift and/or (b) it doesn’t tear or break in transit. Therefore, no over-stuffing!
- Put the heavier objects in smaller boxes. This makes them easier to carry.
- Separate out your most important items, such as irreplaceable family photos and extremely valuable objects, and keep them with you, rather than sending them with the movers in their truck.
- Be aware that the majority of moving companies won’t move plants, so that’s something you’ll most likely have to do on your own, if necessary.
- Make sure to keep all of your moving documents in order, along with the driver’s name, phone number, and van number.
- Before moving your computer, make sure to back up all of your files.
- As soon as your boxes and furniture arrive, check everything for any potential damage. If you wait until later, it may be harder to determine or prove that anything that might have happened to any of the pieces is the fault of the movers and not yours.
NYC Moving Companies
- Divine Moving and Storage: divinemoving.com Telephone: 866-668-7666
- Scanio Moving: scaniomoving.com Telephone: 212-722-6850
- Flat Rate Movers: flatrate.com Telephone: 800-486-3528
- Oz: The Wizard of Moving: ozmoving.com Telephone: 212-570-MOVE (6683)
- Moishe’s Moving Company: moishes.com Telephone: 800-642-3269
- Shleppers Moving and Storage: shleppers.com Telephone: 212-223-4004
- U-Haul: uhaul.com Telephone: 800-GO-UHAUL (468-4285)