|Number of Units:||479|
The Department of Treasury built this 10-story red brick Romanesque Revival building in 1892-1899 as a warehouse for imported goods awaiting customs appraisal. The two lowest floors were built to the designs of Willougby J. Edbrooke. Soon after, the building was taken over by the U.S. Federal Archives. Since each floor contained over one acre of square footage, it was highly suitable as storage space for the agency's archival materials. The magnificent design features round Roman arches, wide piers, and massive brick walls that are as thick as three feet at the base. Above, the masonry facade is broken by regularly spaced square and arched windows and a heavy cornice with arched corbel tables. Renovated in 1988, the building was converted into 479 rental units, called the Archive Apartments, offering views over the Hudson waterfront and the West Village. An interior atrium was carved into the center of the building and retail spaces were integrated into the base.
The Unites States Appraiser's Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1966.