200 W 72nd St, The Corner - 200 West 72nd Street, New York, NY
Number of Units:192
  • Cable/Satellite TV
  • Concierge
  • Doorman
  • Elevator
  • Garage
  • Health Club
  • High Speed Internet
  • Jacuzzi
  • Pool
  • Roof deck
  • Spa
  • Washer/Dryer
  • Wheelchair Access
Offering modern, sophisticated rental apartments at the heart of Manhattan's Upper West Side.

About The Corner, 200 West 72nd Street

This large, 192-unit rental apartment building at 200 West 72nd Street occupies the southwest corner of Broadway and 72nd Street, one of the major Upper West Side intersections.

Completed in 2010, it was designed by Handel Architects and development by the Gotham Organization.

It has a third-floor residents' lounge with a fireplace and fitness center and play center.

The building, which also is known as 2075 Broadway, has a roof deck with a 12-foot-long "mist" wall, a barbecue area, a movie theater screen and a fireplace area.

The 19-story building has 24-hour concierge and doorman service, bicycle storage, on-site valet services for cleaning and housekeeping and a landscaped garden.

Apartments have Sub-Zero refrigerators, and Eco-logic stone countertaops and Liebherr and GE appliances.

The building's lower two floors contain about 48,000-square-feet of retail space that will accommodate a Trader Joe's store and it is across Broadway from an express subway station. It is also one block south of Verdi Square and two blocks south of the great Ansonia apartment building, one of the major landmarks of the Upper West Side. The building is also across 72nd Street from the very handsome Alexandria apartment building.

This building has a cutaway design that steps down five floors towards the 72nd Street corner where it is rounded.

In a November 6, 2006 article in The New York Times, David W. Dunlap wrote that "in the old sense of 'landmark' - a guidepost so conspicuous that it becomes the emblem of an area - the former Colonial Club at the southwest corner of Broadway and 72nd Street was certainly a landmark. Its turreted corner served for more than a century as a kind of gateway to the Upper West Side."

The Landmarks Preservation Commission, however, declined three times to consider landmark designation for the "ragtag six-story building," Mr. Dunlap wrote, adding that Henry F. Kilburn designed the clubhouse that opened in 1892 "with a billiard room overlooked by a cafe, a bowling alley, a dining room, wine cellars, a library and a ballroom."

"The club's real distinction," Mr. Dunlap observed, "was its relatively enlightened attitude about women. It was 'the third social club in the city to admit ladies to the privileges of its restaurant.'"

"This golden age was brief. The club foundered financially. Its home was sold at auction in 1903. The interior was transformed into a warren of offices. The monumental ground floor was stripped of limestone and cut up into storefronts. The main entryway was lost. Most of the grand arched windows and round windows, or oculi, were squared off. The delicate iron balcony was removed," the article maintained, adding that when the commission was approached a third time to consider it a spokesperson said that "'we found, as part of our assessment, that the owner already had obtained permits for the work.'"